I posted earlier on my Facebook page an article From Mind, Body, Green about not blaming big food companies and I agreed with a lot that was written. We can gripe and complain all we want and stress ourselves out about it but in the end you will find, you are responsible for yourself and family. Bottom line.
While I am not perfect nor do I achieve for perfectionism, I do allow things into our home that a BUNCH of extremists would think is INSANE. I believe in balance and I believe in listening to your own body. Food diets need to be adjusted according to each body. For instance, I need carbs, my husband could probably never eat another carb again and be FULL of energy. Everyone’s body is different. I learned this concept selling skincare for MANY years. Your body is unique and it responds differently to everything which is what makes it beautiful.
When I first began this process of elimination as I call it, it was very frightening and overwhelming. There were many days of anxiety and frustration because I could not believe what companies were sacrificing to make a buck and at the expense of my family’s health. You can seriously overwhelm yourself so take ONE STEP AT A TIME.
The first step I took is I looked at the things we ate/bought a lot of. I then looked at the ingredients on the label in horror. After the shock, I looked for healthier alternatives. Most people may have cut them out all together but I am not going to deprive my kids and I think they should learn balance and making healthier decisions. After all, they do not live in a bubble and I will not always be there to watch what they consume 24/7. So here’s my top FIVE:
1. Cereal – Man, did my kids eat a ton of Cheerios and Fruit Loops! I know. Fruit Loops are like the WORST. I now switched to Panda Puffs which are organic and non GMO. Yes, they still have sugar BUT you make choices.
2. Apples – My babies LOVE their apples. My littlest has asked for an apple tree since she could talk. All I buy mostly is organic. SOMETIMES I buy regular if I just refuse to make another store stop and I don’t anticipate on shopping again in the near future. Yes, I get tired too.
3. Sliced Turkey and Turkey Dogs – I have REALLY tried to reduce this amount considering the possible effects of nitrates and the fact that these items just aren’t healthy BUT all in balance. I still buy them but I make sure they first, a thousand dollars (because that’s about how much they cost ;)), no added nitrates, hormone-free, anti-biotic free, no preservatives and organic.
4. Yogurt (Yo-Yo as my little one calls it) – We eat a lot of yogurt and I use it as my new sour cream and I also use it in my skincare as well (that’s a whole new post) so when I buy yogurt, its organic and Greek.
5. Snacks – There is a lot of snacking going on in this house. My family are EATERS. Not very picky and they eat a lot. I have modified a lot of their snacks to organic or into fruit or veggies. Before it was just mainly bread like snacks such as Goldfish and Cheez-its (they still eat them) but now it’s more bananas with peanut butter, raisins, apples, boiled organic eggs, organic cheddar bunnies, frozen grapes, edamame and foods like gluten free macaroni with REAL cheese. Who says you can’t have a smaller portion of a REAL food item for a snack?
Take one step at a time! Try not to get overwhelmed and taking one step is better than none at all. If you “follow” one of those “holier-than-thou foodies” on Facebook, STOP. Unlike the page and move at a pace you and your family can handle. Stressing yourself out doesn’t help anyone including your family. Soon, I will post the top 20 things I either stopped buying or changed what I bought so stay tuned! This list was just a “beginner” list. What are 5 things you could change that your family eats a lot of? THINK and post! No judgement. I am here to help. 🙂